Monday, November 28, 2011

The requested database does not have provider name set in the connection string

Hello Friends

I came across with an error when I was trying to connect to SQL Database by using Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data

It throws below error every time.
“The requested database <databasename> does not have provider name set in the connection string."

Then I checked the connection string in web.config file of SharePoint WebApplication and I found that this parameter is missing “providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" in the <ConnectionString> tag.

Old Connection string:
<connectionStrings>
    <add connectionString="Server=servername;Database=dbname;User ID=userid;Password=password" name="MyConnectionstring" />
      </connectionStrings>
Changed Connection String Add the Provider name:
<connectionStrings>
    <add connectionString="Server=servername;Database=dbname;User ID=userid;Password=password" name="MyConnectionstring" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"
 />
      </connectionStrings>

Enjoy!!